Thursday, March 17, 2011

Weighty Update

"Oh yeah, I forgot that you were dieting."  I hate that statement.  I am not dieting.  I am a member of Weight Watchers to help change my way of thinking about food.  In the past few weeks I have come a long way yet I still have a long way to go.  For some people, I am simply dieting to lose weight but to me I am learning how to eat while incorporating exercise so that I will attain a fit body and keep it that way. 

The largest "help" I have in my new eating lifestyle is Hubs.  Hubs joined me whole-heartedly.  We follow a Weight Watcher friendly diet and have been loading up on whole wheat, fiber, fruits, and veggies.  This week we joined a local gym.  When we signed up, there was a pamphlet that read, "The most effective tool to weight loss and a healthy lifestyle is having a partner."  I totally agree.  Sometimes I want to knock Hubs upside the head because he is like a drill sargent about eating but I know that he only wants us both to reach our goals. 

This week we have tried some very interesting new things. 
Turkey Bacon - tastes almost like the real thing.  Especially good on a BLT.

Turkey Sausage - for a girl who LOVES a good sausage biscuit, turkey is a GREAT alternative.

Green Giant Steamers - we have tried the broccoli and cheese and the mixed veggie (cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots).  Super easy veggie to add to grilled chicken!  YUM!

Activewear - while we haven't purchased anything yet...just the thought of actually shopping in this section of a store makes me sort of giddy.  And of course I won't be purchasing what the model is wearing but a girl needs a goal right?!?

Up for this weekend...trying a new recipe.
HUMMUS!

I love fresh hummus.  My absolute favorite comes from The Pita Stop.  I have tried store brands but have never been satisfied so this weekend I'm going to try it homemade.

Hummus is made of chickpeas (or garbonzo beans) and Tahini (a middle eastern spice).  Chickpeas contain no cholesterol or saturated fats. And, they are also rich in protein.  Tahini does have fat and calories but you only use a small amount and it contains lots of protein and calcium.  Additional ingredients include Olive Oil which of course we know is low in saturated fat and can help us stay heart healthy. 

Overall, hummus contains lots of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are great for improving intelligence and maintaining a healthy heart.  It also contains iron, vitamin B6, manganese, copper, folic acid, and amino acids. Humus is loaded with nutrients that can contribute to a healthy lifestyle. Use it as a dip for lots of different veggies or (my favorite) fresh, warm pita bread.

Hummus info borrowed from 3fatchicks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment