Thursday, August 29, 2013

Just This Once...

Eating clean and healthy (not that I'm 100% clean or healthy) is a work in progress but it is also a lifestyle change.  I am not dieting.  My goal is to eat less processed foods with less sugar and absolutely no poison sugar substitutes like saccharin and aspartame.  And lower fats and calories per meal.  I get frustrated because of course a Big Mac from McDonald's is quick and easy (not to mention delicious) but it's so so bad.  I know that I will feel better if I go home and my own dinner. 

But never do I get as frustrated as when people who know my preferred diet say "you can eat it just this once."  I don't want that cupcake.  I won't enjoy it, I'll feel guilty, and worst of all, it will drive my blood sugar sky high.  I am fighting so hard to prevent going on insulin for the rest of my life.  That cupcake "just this once" isn't worth it.  I don't completely limit myself.  I do have treats (this week I discovered that Keebler makes Samoas like the Girl Scouts).  I enjoy those treats from time to time.  But leave me alone.  I'm not asking you to follow my plan.  And I don't keep you from eating yours. 

I guess what I think is that people may not understand why I am careful and strict but don't ask me to leave my path.  There are plenty of obstacles that we, as humans, create for ourselves.  Please just let me follow my own path.  I am not doing without.  I'm actually very well.  Very full.  And getting healthier every day that passes.


No comments:

Post a Comment