Thursday, February 14, 2013

I Wear Black on Valentine's Day

I scoured my closet this morning for a black top and pants.  In my defense, I was going to wear a pink and black scarf with it.  But alas, I settled on black and blue.  Moody colors despite my cheerful attitude.

So I have another confession to make, I hate am not a fan of Valentine's Day.  I don't hold it against people who choose to celebrate it or even voice my opinion in groups of people. 

It's neither here nor there.  I don't celebrate it but I'm not activitely protesting against it.



Someone said "Do you hate love?" Ummm no.  "Do you hate expressing love?" Nope. Just the opposite.  I just hate having one day to be the day to express love to those in your life.  I think love, to everyone in your life, should be expressed often through words, actions, etc.  I don't think showing up on February 14th with a dozen roses means that you love your significant other more than I love mine. 

I don't know why I have this dislike for the holiday. 

Maybe it's because I'm not overly fond of the color red.  I'm too pale for it.  I don't wear it well.

I'm not bitter.  I wasn't depressed when Valentine's Day rolled around.  Growing up, my dad always gave me a little heart full of candy and a gift (I can remember cds and books off the top of my head).  And I have been married for 8 years.  I don't feel shafted by the day of love or anything like that. 

I just don't get it.

I think one of my top gripes about Valentine's Day is the unreal expectations that occur, especially in new relationships.  There is extreme pressure purchase the right gift or plan the right surprise.  We end up in a cycle of bad days/dates/memories when this day is supposed to be about love!  Everywhere poor guys are feeling completely dumbfounded because she didn't like her gift.  He has no idea what's going on in her head.  Let's face it, most 20 year old guys are not going to have the knowledge/money of the most perfect thing to do for their girlfriend, who is the giddy girl waiting for her dozen roses or diamonds.  It's just not fair.  And to be fair, not everyone acts this way.  And another thing, and not that all women do this, but this becomes all about the women.  Men should be treated equally as sweet.

Now don't even get me started on the retail aspect of it all! 

Flowers aren't the only way to say "I love you" or "I appreciate you."  And let's tell it like it is...flowers die.  How does that symbolize love?

Shower those around you with the little things  - the kind word, the thoughtful candy bar or soft drink when you were getting one for yourself, or a compliment when they need it most. 

So, I step down from my soapbox to say...Happy Valentine's Day.  Let's spread love today and every other day. 

However, Valentine's Day-themed sugar cookies are always welcome.

Off my soapbox, I leave you with my favorite Elvis love song...


No comments:

Post a Comment