Tuesday, January 25, 2011

John Wayne was True Grit

*Disclaimer - the following statements are my own opinions.  I have not seen the new version of True Grit so I can not rightfully judge anything about the movie.  This post is meant in jest and should be taken as so.*

When I first saw the trailer for the 2010 remake of True Grit starting Jeff Bridges I honestly thought it was a spoof.  First, why on earth is Hollywood remaking so many movies?  Second, why would you remake a movie as well known as True Grit staring the most awesome cowboy actor ever - John Wayne. 

I have grown up with John Wayne movies.  My "pawpaw" was a huge John Wayne fan as is my mother.  My favorite movie is El Dorado and I quote it regularly (Hubs thinks this is annoying).  So, as an avid fan of The Duke, I was simply appalled that the Coen Brothers would remake such a "classic." 

I can never see anyone attempting to play the part of the rough Rooster Cogburn than John Wayne.  Even now as I read the Oscar nominations and see that Jeff Bridges as been nominated, I cannot bring myself to watch this movie.  No offense to Mr. Bridges but....it just isn't right.

Possibly, the Coen Brothers and the actors are playing tribute to a historic character, and even more, the larger than life actor who portrayed him, but I still don't know if I can handle the pain of seeing Jeff Bridges onscreen as Rooster Cogburn.  Ain't gonna happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment