Saturday, January 8, 2011

Special Day

Forget getting ready for a snow day...today is a very special day.  Today is a very historic day - Elvis Presley's birthday!  As I have previously stated, I grew up thinking Elvis was a member of my family.  My dad has always been a huge music fan (most especially an Elvis fan) so naturally that interest in music passed on to me.  Seriously.

Movies -
Elvis didn't make Oscar-worthy movies but I always enjoyed them....well most of them.  My favorite movies are Blue Hawaii and Girl Happy.   In the movie Blue Hawaii Elvis' character, Chad Gates, is a tour guide and at one point he ends up driving a pink Jeep.  As a young girl, that pink Jeep was my dream car!  On a trip to Graceland when I was 5, I had my picture taken with the Jeep.  I was in heaven.  This event took place again at age 23.  I still want that Jeep.  But, I digress...


Music -
Elvis had 149 songs to appear on Billboard’s Hot 100 Pop Chart and had over 150 different albums and singles that have been certified gold, platinum or multi-platinum.  I don't know what I have a favorite song because I love so many of them.  But here is one favorite -


My own personal Elvis facts...
1.   I wrote a pop culture on Elvis paper in high school and received an A+.
2.  My mom owns (and uses) Elvis luggage.
3.  My dad knows the names of Elvis' signature suits and the time period in which they were worn.
4.  Hubs and I and my parents all stayed at The Heartbreak Hotel on our last trip to Memphis. 
5.  I can quote several Elvis moves and it annoys Hubs.  It's Fun.  I can do it to John Wayne movies too.


Here are a few Elvis facts....
1.   Until his late teens, Elvis was a blond. 
2.  Elvis won three Grammy awards...for his gospel recordings.
3.  Elvis' birth certificate read, "Elvis Aron Presley" but his tombstone reads, "Elvis Aaron Presley."
4.  Elvis is a member of both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Country Music Hall of Fame.
5.  In the most recent poll, more than 10% of American's think Elvis is still alive.  I do not.






Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment