Sunday, December 2, 2012

Taco Pasta


I found this recipe at one of my favorite recipe blogs - Emily Bites. I love her recipes. They are healthy alternatives but using real food and she even features Weight Watchers Points Plus. I adapted the recipe just a little bit to suit our taste and this recipe got the Hubs' seal of approval! Super easy and flavorful!
The ingredients:
Whole Wheat Pasta (we used penne but next time I'm using shells), Taco Seasoning, Rotel (actually 2 cans), Cheese, Light Sour Cream.  And of course I forgot to include the hamburger meat.

Brown about 1lb of hamburger meat.  Next time I am adding diced onions for more flavor.
When finished, drain and rinse.
Add 1 oz pack of taco seasoning, 1/4 cup water, and two cans of Rotel (I didn't drain for extra spice).
Add pasta.  Looks yummy already!
Add about 1 1/2 cups of your favor cheeses and allow to melt.  I used the Taco mix but suit your own tastes.
Add 1/4 cup of Sour Cream.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Full Recipe:

8 oz wheat pasta
1 lb 95% lean ground beef
1 oz packet reduced sodium taco seasoning
2 cans Rotel
½ c water
¼ c fat free sour cream
1 1/2 cups cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

1.    Cook pasta according to package instructions.

2.    While pasta is cooking, cook the ground beef until brown. When the beef is cooked, drain any grease from pan. Add the taco seasoning, rotel and water and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes or until pasta is done cooking.

3.    Once pasta is done, drain pasta and add it to the beef mixture. Add the sour cream, cheese, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cheese will be nice and melted.  Remove from heat and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment